Hygenall
Frequently Asked Questions

Why would I use Hygenall?

From toys to diaper bags, studies have shown that lead and other toxic metals are found on many products and surfaces we use everyday, and the list of contaminated products grows each year. Lead poisoning can affect nearly every system in the body. Because lead dust and other toxic metal dust is typically invisible to the naked eye, and poisoning often occurs with no obvious symptoms, it frequently goes unrecognized. Lead poisoning can cause learning disabilities, behavioral problems, and, at very high levels, seizures, coma, and even death. Using Hygenall at least once a day can significantly lower your risk from incidental exposure to toxic metal dust by removing it from your skin in a healthful manner.

When should I use Hygenall?

At a minimum, instead of using soap and water at the end of the day before bedtime, showering, and before mealtime, we recommend wiping exposed skin with Hygenall and then rinsing with fresh clean water. Children, pregnant mothers, and workers who are exposed to lead should follow this routine daily.
School age children should use Hygenall after school or day-care, or after playing in areas where plastic and painted toys are often used, or where they may have had contact with walls in older buildings. Hygenall should be used instead of soap and water, or alcohol based hand cleaners and gels in these applications. Hygenall removes toxic metal dust, cleans and removes most common germs.
WARNING: HYGENALL IS NOT A CURE FOR LEAD POISONING NOR WILL IT PROTECT YOU FROM LEAD IN WATER OR IF YOU INHALE LEAD DUST. IF YOU SUSPECT LEAD POISONING CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATLY.

What is Toxic Hand-off?

An interesting white paper was written by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), a division of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that talks about the "Toxic Hand-off" and addresses how lead dust can be transmitted to others and inhaled and ingested. Click here for the white paper: CDC/NIOSH

Will Soap and Water, Alcohol, or Alcohol Based Sanitizer Gels work?

No. Washing with soap and water (both liquid and bar soaps) actually increases the chance that lead and other toxic metals will absorb through the skin and into the bloodstream. Alcohol based sanitizers or other products based on alcohol do not prevent the skin from absorbing lead oxide, nor do they effectively remove lead.

How does Hygenall work?

Hygenall is a patented four part system that is made up of a specially manufactured wipe that has been pre-wetted with a carefully designed surfactant (A surfactant is something that makes water more slippery). The wiping action of the wipe against the skin causes toxic metal dust to move up and away from the skin while at the same time removing dirt, grime and germs. Rinsing with fresh clean water completes the cleaning cycle.

How are People Poisoned by Lead and What Happens?

Lead enters the bloodstream and accumulates in organs (especially the liver, kidneys and brain), tissues, bones and teeth. Prolonged and repeated exposure increases the levels of lead in the body. The human body absorbs and expels lead very slowly, it is a cumulative poisoning as it can take from weeks to years for the body to expel lead after exposure.
Symptoms and the damage done by lead poisoning differ in adults and children. Children absorb lead more easily than adults so are at a greater risk. People who work with lead should be aware that they can bring lead dust into their homes on their clothes.

How are Children affected by Lead Poisoning?

Low level lead poisoning can be hard to spot as the symptoms don't always make themselves obvious until a later age. Symptoms of those exposed to higher levels of lead can include headaches, a blue line around the gums, tiredness, anemia, abdominal pain, cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, hearing problems, slow growth, foot drop, wrist drop, lack of physical co-ordination, convulsions, coma and death. Lead poisoning causes permanent brain damage, damage to the central nervous system, a drop in IQ, learning disabilities and behavioral problems.

How are Adults affected by Lead Poisoning?

In adults the symptoms can include headaches, tiredness, a blue line around the gums, anemia, abdominal pain and cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, hearing problems, insomnia, lack of concentration, memory loss, problems with the kidneys, lack of physical co-ordination, high blood pressure, foot drop, wrist drop, abnormal behavior, convulsions, coma and death. Lead poisoning can cause infertility, hearing difficulties, kidney disease, kidney failure, permanent brain damage and damage to the central nervous system. In women lead poisoning can cause stillbirth, miscarriage, premature birth and fetal development problems.
Treatment of both adults and children involves removing the source of the lead. In low level lead poisoning this can be all that is needed for the patient to start to recover. In cases with a higher exposure to lead, chelating drugs are used to help the body remove it. Lead poisoning can cause permanent damage to the brain, vital organs, central nervous systems and can be fatal. If you suspect lead poisoning, you must contact your doctor immediately and tell him/her your suspicions.

Is there Lead in the Workplace?

Workers can be exposed to lead through inhalation of fumes and dusts, as well as through ingestion as a result of lead-contaminated hands, food, drinks, cosmetics, tobacco products, and clothing. Furthermore, workers can take lead home on their clothes, skin, hair, tools, and in their vehicles , potentially exposing their families to harmful health effects.

Who is most at risk?

People who work with lead or who work in areas contaminated with heavy metals are at a higher risk of poisoning as are children and pregnant women from exposure to contaminated products. Plumbers and those in the construction industry should take care not to ingest or inhale lead particles. People with old plumbing systems should ensure that lead has not been used in any part which comes into contact with drinking water. Water can be easily tested for traces of lead. Always wash clothes covered in lead dust separately. Be aware that lead based paints in older properties are a source of lead poisoning – especially in children - always take great care and get expert advice when dealing with lead based paints.



FamiliesSportsmenWorkersMilitary & Police
- There's No Better Way to Keep You and Your Family Safe -